Dr Simon Harold Walker
PhD in Medical Military History
University of Strathclyde, Glasgow October 2014 – March 2018
Thesis Title – ‘‘A Different Existence Altogether” Creating, Conditioning and Controlling the British Soldier in the First World War.
My PhD was a research-based program within nineteenth and twentieth-century military history that required comprehensive knowledge of military, political and international relations focused history, the ability to grasp new concepts quickly and the development of investigation and analytical skills. It required me to consistently develop my research profile through articles and academic and public engagement programs. This role also required a high standard of research ability, communication, and written presentation.
- Co-organiser of the Beyond Epilepsy: History in Context Art Exhibition. This role helped to develop team working, project management and public engagement skills. Researching, writing and presenting reports for funding purposes was also essential.
- Additional public engagement includes: several presentations for Glasgow Heritage on nineteenth century Scottish health, Contributions on military food for the Glasgow Fringe (2016), research and contribution the Darker Side of the First World War conference as part of the Gateways to the First World War project (ongoing), and the digging in First World War recreation project
MSc in Health History (Merit) – Dissertation Focused on Military History and Inoculation
University of Strathclyde, Glasgow October 2013 – September 2014
BA Honours in History (1st Class) – Dissertation Focused on Military Weaponry and Superiority
University of Strathclyde, Glasgow October 2009 – September 2013
- Awarded a PhD Studentship by the Economic and Social Research Council June 2014
- Awarded the Thomas Telford Prize for best Honours performance in History. June 2013
- Awarded a Masters studentship by the Wellcome Trust. June 2013
Teaching and Research Experience
Researcher – The Scottish Parliament January 2019 – Current
Researcher for a number of exhibitions and events to be held within the Parliament.
Lecture / Tutor – France and War / Cold War Europe / Modern Europe / Medicine and War / Introduction to History/ Disease and Society / Empire and India/ Madness and Society/ Sex and Society/ Dangerous Drugs /
University of Strathclyde, Glasgow October 2015 – Current
Teaching a wide array of complex historical themes including politics, international relations, military history, disease and health, gender, power, and class.
Teacher / Coordinator / Editor – History of Health and Healthcare School Engagement Project May 2015 – Current
Deliver a program of historically based lessons in local Glasgow schools, which focus on source analysis and standard level historiography. I also research and publish articles and, manage the website for the project https://journeysthroughhealthhistory.com/
Researcher – University of Strathclyde Careers Service May 2013 – August 2013
Researcher – Glasgow Museums October 2012 – December 2012
Researcher – National Library of Scotland July 2012 – August 2012
Additional Professional Employment
Focus On Futures Advisor– Focus West May 2018 – Current
Mentoring widening access pupils in a variety of Scottish schools to assist with their attempts to access Higher Education.
Careers Guidance Consultant – SCE Consultants August 2018 – Current
Professional Development Adviser – University of Strathclyde Business School, Glasgow November 2017 – July 2018
CV / Applications Adviser (Temporary Position) – Careers Service, University of Strathclyde, Glasgow September 2014 – May 2018
Events Coordinators for the Festival of Politics (Internship) – The Scottish Parliament (Temp – Part Time) April 2017 – October 2017
Various Recruitment Roles
Recruitment Consultant Hays Banking plc., Glasgow November 2007- July 2008
Senior Recruitment Coordinator C J Garlands May 2006- November 2007
Account Resourcer Northern Recruitment Group May-2005- May 2006
Various Customer Service Roles
Senior Sales Advisor / Team Leader – Vodafone PLC July 2008 – September 2013
Customer Service Representative – My Travel UK June 2004 – March 2005
Customer Service Advisor – Littlewoods Retail Ltd. June 2002- June 2004
Additional Skills and Interest
- Proficient in all office-based programs, Word, PowerPoint, and Excel. Also experienced with CSS, HTML and audio/visual media production.
- Volunteered for several third sector organisations including Epilepsy Scotland and Scottish Huntingtons.
- Leisure activities include snowboarding, playing several instruments and developing language skills
shw academic cv 2018Publications
- ‘Vaccination’ and ‘A Short history of Smallpox’ Medical History of British India NLS, https://digital.nls.uk/indiapapers/vaccination.html (August, 2012)
- Walker, S. ‘Saving Bodies and Souls – To what extent were Army Chaplains an Important part of Medical Care in the First World War?’, Postgraduate Journal of Medical Humanities, 3 (2016): pp 24-38.
- ‘Book Review’, Journal of Scottish Historical Studies, Volume 36 Issue 1, (April, 2016), pp 108-110.
- Medicinal Food: Feeding Under Fire, The Recipe Project, https://recipes.hypotheses.org/ (October, 2017)
- (Translation Editor) Monnier, Limpalaër, Robin & Roux, A Taxonomic Iconography of living Conidae (Paris: Association française de conchyliologie – Xenophora ; Hackenheim : ConchBooks, 2018)
- Walker, S. ‘No Chance of Getting Home Again’ Suicidal British Soldiers in the First World War.’ Hecatombs of War, (Stern: Peter Lang, 2019) – Upcoming Publication.
- Walker S. ‘The Greater Good: Agency and Inoculation in the British Army 1914-1918’ Canadian Bulletin of Medical History (2018) – Upcoming Publication
- ‘Health in Context’ University of Strathclyde (March, 2018)
- War and Health – Universidade de Lisboa, Lisbon (June, 2017)
- University of Glasgow – Historical Perspectives, Glasgow (June, 2017)
- The Recipe Project Conference – Virtual Conversation, hosted online (June, 2017)
- British Society for the History of Science, Florence (April, 2017)
- Rethinking Gender, Institut für Geschichte, Vienna (September, 2016)
- Science Fiction and the Medical Humanities Conference, University of Glasgow, (July, 2016)
- Masculinity, Health and Medicine, c.1750-present workshop – University of Strathclyde (April 2016)
- Society for the Social History of Medicine (SSHM) Postgraduate Career Development Workshop and Conference (August 2015)
- Modern British History Network – University of Strathclyde – (June 2015)
- CSHHH@10 Conference – University of Strathclyde (June 2015)
Public Engagement Profile
- Feeding Under Fire – YouTube knowledge exchange and public engagement programme https://www.youtube.com/c/feedingunderfire
- Researcher, teacher and content editor for the Strathclyde School Project https://journeysthroughhealthhistory.com/
- Co-organised, researched and implemented Beyond Epilepsy project – https://borderlandofepilepsy.com/
- Adventures in Academia – Research Blog – https://simonhwalker.wordpress.com/
- Contributor the Central Michigan University history Blog – https://www.recollectionhistory.com/
- Contributor to Gateways to the First World War – http://www.gatewaysfww.org.uk/
- Contributor to the Recipe Project – https://recipes.hypotheses.org/about
- Contributor to the 2016 Southside Fringe https://www.southsidefringe.com/
- Govanhill Public Baths project http://www.govanhillbaths.com/archive/the-archivists-blog/
- Contributor, researcher and speaker for the Digging In First World War recreation project. http://diggingin.co.uk/
- Contributor and guest speaker to Glasgow Heritage Health in Glasgow Event 2017.
- Contributor and Guest Speaker at Deveron Project: Pacifists of Peace Event 2017.